banner.png

Milestones

Print
Year

Date

Section

Milestone

1874

 

B

Indian Road named by John Howard after an old Indian trail that used to meander north along the property

1905

 

CT

Thorburn-Hall Trophy is oldest trophy in the club. Awarded to winner of friendly game between the Brampton and Parkdale clubs. After Parkdale disbanded it became a HPC vs. Brampton affair.

1910

 

G

Opening of High Park Presbyterian Church became centre of new community. Lawn Bowling and Lawn Tennis were played on church property and adjacent lot. Community begins initial steps to create a “social” club separate from the church.

1911

15-Dec

G

600 guests attend the inaugural Grand Ball to celebrate the opening of the High Park Lawn Bowling & Curling Club. Guests danced to an orchestra in the middle of the rink floor. Official photo taken by Frank W. Micklethwaite .

1912

 

LB

First recorded meeting of the Lawn Bowling section. Fees for the 100 members were $5 annually.

1912

Oct 18

C

HPC joined OCA

1918

 

G

In February, club was renamed as High Park Club Limited

1919

 

CT

HPC won the District Cup with rinks skipped by H. Patton (Rev. J.H. Turnbull, M.T. Golder, T. Wright) and D.M. Clarke (T.F. Holliday, R.B. Storey, O.M. Moore). The Cup was one of the top 3 prizes in the province of Ontario- victors had to win a half dozen elimination contests against winners from other districts.

1921

 

B

First expansion of club. Verandah enclosed and made part of clubhouse. “Pit” dug out in Fall of that year.

1924

 

CT

District Cup returns to HPC thanks to the teams skipped by J.A. Goudy (E.P. Atkinson, C.J. Wallace, A.S. Dow) and R.B. Storey (E.H. Brokenshire, O.M. Moore, E.A. Walshaw).

1926

 

 

2nd club expansion. Clubhouse expanded on north side to include locker, change and coat rooms .
Small building built on East side of rink to house rink’s new ice plant and to give skaters and “other” rentals a warm place to change in. Today this is the icemaker’s room . You can still the ticket window used by the ice skating attendant.
Accommodation for lockers was made under the new cloakroom. The older basement on the east side was fitted up as a social room.
Henry Nagel donated the large plate glass viewing windows.
The second floor was remodeled to include a good-size dining room and the 3rd floor was made into a Board Room.

1926

1926/27

C

Introduction of artificial ice expanded curling season to Dec 13- Mar 26 (Glasgow, Scotland first place to have artificial ice in 1907, Toronto Cricket Club in 1925 and the Granite in 1926).

 

 

 

With the introduction of artificial ice the directors were eagerly looking for other sources of revenue and introduced indoor skating.

1927

 

CT

Canada Life Trophy (Toronto Curling championship) won by team skipped by Bill Scott (Dr. E.A. Peaker, Thomas Wright, Fred Lucas). Team finished 3rd in the first ever McDonald-Brier Dominion Competition played at Toronto Granite Club.

1928

 

CT

District Cup and Governor-General’s trophy comes to HPC thanks to teams skipped by T.J. Sheppard (E.D. MacInnes, W.B. Cowan, J.A. Sheppard) and J.A. Goudy (E.A. Walshaw, C.W. Keith, J.W. Milne).

1929

Late Nov

CT

HPC introduced the first 5-day annual bonspiel, The Thauburn, named after a popular member of Brampton Club and honourary member of HPC, Thomas Thauburn. Teams came from Michigan, Wisconsin and all over Ontario (kicked off the curling season). A few years later Harry Dickson crafted a trophy for the winner of the Second Event named after Percy Atkinson. Lasted for 50 years and was one of the biggest and well-known bonspiels in Ontario for most of that time.

1931

 

CT

Governor-General’s Trophy returned to HPC thanks to skips A.S. Dow (W.B.Cowan, H.A. Dickson, J. Whitmore) and E.D. MacInnes (G. McVicar, F.H. Adamson, A.G. Burrows). District Cup also won this year.

1931

 

C

At OCA meeting held at HPC, Percy Atkinson and Fred Lucas propose formation of Dominion Curling Association.

1933 & 1934

 

CT

Canada Life won back-to-back by HPC team of Dr. E.A. Peaker (Skip), J.D. Reid, C. Herald, C.W. Keith.
Games were 14 ends. Had to win 7 straight games to take cup, which meant over the 2 years, HPC won 14 straight matches against teams that were unbeaten until they played High Park.

1934

 

CT

First ever OCA Seniors’ Tankard won by HPC rink. (Dr. E.A. Peaker (Skip), J.B. Reid, J.G. Collinson, C.W. Keith)

1936

 

CT

Canada Life won by HPC, representing 3 championships for the club in 4 years
(K.A. Miles (Skip), E.E. Wheler, J.M. Thorburn, F.H. McMahon).

1938

 

C

Influx of new curling members from Strathacona Club (Oakwood).

1939

Sept 1

C

First complete set of matched stones lost when The Athenia, ship carrying the rocks, sank after being hit in WW2 by German torpedo. A new set was ordered in time for the following season.

1940

 

CT

Ontario Ladies Tankard won by HPC rink 
(Mrs. E. Ellis (Skip), Mrs. Code, Mrs. Norman, Mrs. MacDonald).

1944

 

CT

Ontario Silver Tankard won by HPC teams skipped by Ken Miles and Gerv Meech..

1948

 

CT

Canada Life Cup won by HPC team of Gerv Meech (Skip), R.H. Reive, R.J. Giffen, R.E. Jones. Meech had been in the finals as vice for K.A. Miles in 1942 and as skip in 1944 and 1945 before he finally won it in 1948.

1949

 

CT

Ladies win 2nd Ontario Ladies Tankard (Mrs. M.C. Code, Mrs. C.L. Eaton, Mrs. J.W. McDonald, Mrs. D. Norman).

1950

 

C

Fred Lucas elected President of Dominion Curling Association (CCA) and is a member of the Curling Hall of Fame.

1950

 

B

3rd club expansion. 2nd floor was expanded to add Lounge, Powder Room and Locker Room for the ladies.

1952

 

CT

HPC wins Ontario Junior Tankard (Bruce Sonley (Skip), Ken Phillips, Bill Rogers, Bob Lee).

1953

 

CT

HPC Runner’s Up in Ontario Ladies Tankard by teams skipped by Mrs. Helen Code and Mrs. Mabel Reive.

1958-60

 

B

4th club expansion. Basement enlarged under the west half of the clubhouse to accommodate more lockers and a men’s washroom.
North green turned into parking lot and bar lounge constructed. Don Gibson designed and oversaw the construction of north wing (1960) and 2 rows of opera seating added to overlook curling rink and viewing windows extended further to the north.

1959

 

CT

Ontario Silver Tankard Runner’s Up by teams skipped by F. Westcott and G. Meech.

1959

Early Fall

G

Club received its first liquor license, after a series of unsuccessful efforts.

1960

Fall

C

“Business Girls” section is born. Known as the B.G.’s, women had to work a certain number of hours to be eligible to compete in this section.
They were allotted 2 curling periods of 2 hours per week and their numbers limited to 22 (one sheet on Wed evening at 9pm, and Sat afternoon)

1962

 

CT

Ladies District curling champions (Jean Shaw (Skip), F.C. Cameron, H.G. Fisher, R.A. Cameron).

1964

 

CT

Business Girls win first trophy at Business Girls Bonspiel at Royal Canadian Curling Club.
(Adele Hamp (Reid)-Skip, Kay Burch, Norma Skinner, Doris Wylds)

1964

 

CT

Governor-General’s Trophy won by rinks skipped by K. Phillips (T. Sahaidak, F. Morton, L. Wakeman) and T. Ramsay (D. Brown, P. Monkman, J. Conway)-played 12-end games.

1964

 

CT

HPC wins O’Keefe Mixed Championship for city of Toronto (Ken Phillips (Skip), Joan Santon, Frank Morton, Jean Coleman).

1968

 

CT

Ontario Ladies Seniors’ Championship won by HPC rink (Ida Duffield (Skip), Lillian Baird, Mabel Sibbald, Doreen Rundle).

1971

 

CT

Ontario Seniors’ Tankard won by Tom Ramsay, Stan Reid, Ches Arthur, Bill Cooke.

1973

 

CT

Ontario Seniors’ Tankard Doolittle Memorial Trophy (Tom Ramsay, Gord Bentley, Bud Baird, Jack Sinclair)

1973

 

CT

Business Women Tankard Second Event won by the teams of Marg Riddell, Mary McGrath, Teddy McNamara, Beth Martin and Vi Miros, Helen Mullis, Pat Coulter, Jean McClaskey.

1975

 

CT

Ontario Seagram Mixed Championship won by Dave Reid, Pat Reid, Terry Lindsey, Martha Lindsey.

1975

 

CT

6th Canada Life Trophy for HPC won by Bill Martyniuk’s rink.

1983

 

LB

Bowlers bowled their last game at HPC.

1984

 

T

Lawn Tennis Section established by Bill McDonald, Nick Rumfeldt, and Mark Green.

1986

 

P

Anne Craig becomes first female President of HPC.

1988/89

 

C

Inaugural year for the Little Rocks program organized by Keith Grattan . Using lighter, smaller rocks, kids continue to learn to curl today thanks to experienced volunteers within the club.

1992

 

CT

Lloyd Harris and Steve Tolkunow skip their teams to within a hair of winning HPC its 4th Governor-General’s Trophy.

1993

Jan 30

C

The Grand Match, Grenadier Pond, a celebration of the club’s 80th Anniversary drew 64 teams from across the GTA.

1995

 

CT

Dan Yamasaki Jr. leads his junior rink to the TCA Championship.

1998

 

CT

OVCA Ontario Bantam Mixed Champions-Bobby Reid, Megan Balsdon, Mark Stanfield, Kelly Cochrane (coach Dave Reid)

2001

 

B

Pipes in rink’s floor replaced and floor changed from sand to concrete... a Herculean effort by volunteers from the curling membership.

2001

 

CT

Junior Men’s Championship -Bobby Reid, Brad Russell, Phil Sager, Mark Stanfield

2010

 

CT

2009 Dominion Women’s Club Champions (Kelly Cochrane-Skip, Kelly Scissons, Brenna Cochrane, Lisa Rawlings) bring home HPC's first national curling championship.

2009-11

 

B

Club undergoes $1.3 million renovation.

B-Building
C-Curling
CT-Curling Trophies
G-General
LB-Lawn Bowlers
LM-Life Members
P-Presidents
S-Social
T-Tennis

 

Copyright © 2017 High Park Club. All Rights Reserved.
Joomla! is Free Software released under the GNU General Public License.